A "Transition Service" for students leaving school
Are you an ORS Funded College Student leaving School? Our ‘Transition Service’ is funded by the Ministry of Social Development.
It is a service specifically targeting ORS funded students (Ongoing Resourcing Scheme), during your last year at college.
The service is designed to assist you with the major decisions that you, your school, family/whānau must make, when moving from school into the wider community. Whether this is into paid or voluntary work, further education, or community programmes.
Our Four Stage Programme
During this four stage programme you will work closely with our transition team members to make these stages fit your individual needs.
We will work closely with your school and especially with your family/whānau and other significant people in your life so that we can have a holistic picture of your strengths and interests.
At every stage we will consult with you and your support people so that you are the person who will direct us to deliver the most appropriate and person centred service that we can.
Meeting you, your family/whānau, school and support network
- Working with you to develop new circles of support
- Collecting essential disability information specific to your needs
- Identifying your strengths, talents, aspirations, skills and things that you might need more help with
- Developing your individual personalised plan and setting your goals for the year.
Investigating, researching and identifying work and/or training opportunities
- These will be closely linked to your personal plan
- These will have connections to your life once you leave school.
Working with you to manage some practical experiences that will help to support and develop skills linked to your goals
- Going to other community agencies, tertiary training or other organisations
- Having firsthand experience of community participation
- Work experience, volunteering or vocational training.
Working with you and your family/whānau to extend and/or create new on-going support
- Joining you up with this support so that you can participate in achieving your goals
By the end of the year, together with you and your family/whānau, school and other support networks, we will have managed your transition plan and assisted with your options within the community after you finish school.
This will be a team effort and you will be the main focus of this team.
Do you meet the criteria for access to the Transition Service?
- Are you an ORS funded student?
- Are you in your last year of school?
- Are you between the ages of 16 and 21?
- Are you a New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident currently living in New Zealand?